I spend most of my free time trying to figure out what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. This blog is filled with random ideas, happenings, photographs, rants filled with frustration, & usually a lot of love.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hunter Glen

I begged my mom & dad to allow me to start horseback riding lessons.  BEGGED & BEGGED!  For my 12th birthday, my mom asked me... "Do you want a big birthday party or do you want me to pay for 2 or 3 riding lesson?" 

Little did she know, those 3 riding lessons (yes, the ones that I chose over a birthday party) would turn into 2 lessons a week, 1 horse show a month, $350 tall boots, totes full of grooming & show gear, etc.  We even came close to buying a pony one year... until we found out that she was INSANE! Mom & dad wouldn't agree to buying me an insane pony...

In high school, my photography teacher gave us an assignment to photograph our life's passion.  He explained that pictures of sports, band, and other school activities wouldn't get you a very good grade.  When most kids graduate, the stop those sports that they once loved.  They no longer participate in bad or other activities.  He actually used me as an example of someone that had a life's passion.  Every assignment that I had,  I somehow incorporated Hunter Glen.  He said that horseback riding was my life's passion... that it was something I would do FOREVER!  You know what... I thought I would. 

I graduated from high school.  I was really serious with Chris.  One day I just stopped showing up for lessons.  I stopped going to the barn everyday.  I stopped it all. 

That was the biggest mistake I've ever made.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss everything about that place.  The horses, the people.   I feel like a part of me is missing. 

Today, I took Conner to visit that very place.  It was like coming home again after being gone for 4 years.  The sounds.  The smells.  The feeling I get inside when I just so much as let a pony nuzzle on my hand.  I was overwhelmed with emotions.  

Just FYI... I still have all of my riding gear.  It sits in my mom's garage.  It's something that I'll never be able to give up... I'm determined to get back into the saddle.  & I'm determined to get Conner into one... maybe for his birthday I'll offer to pay for just 3 lessons (because we all know what 3 lessons will lead to...)

  -Kierra

No comments:

Post a Comment